- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Gardening News: Carroll County Garden Walk June 29-July 1
The Second Annual Carroll County Garden Walk is set for June 29-July 1. The creative efforts of 20 gardeners in Savanna, Thomson, Mt. Carroll and Lanark will be featured during the event.
Gardens range from full city blocks to street-side beds formed by recycled concrete walls. Country gardens, cottage gardens, shade gardens, ponds, herbs, flowers and vegetables are all included.
Spend the weekend exploring scenic Carroll County and visit unique shops in Savanna, Thomson, Mt. Carroll, Lanark and Sabula, Iowa, full of unique art and décor for the home and garden. Area restaurants will also be offering specials for visitors traveling between towns.
Several special events will also be held over the weekend. A cookout is set for 5 to 6 p.m., Friday, June 29, at Heirloom Market in Thomson.
Free seminars Friday, June 29, will feature Bud LeFevre from Distinctive Gardens in Dixon, Ill., speaking about “Shade Plants” at 6:30 p.m., and Doug Oster speaking about “Ornamental Edibles” at 7:30 p.m.
Oster is an award-winning radio personality for KDKA Radio in Pittsburgh hosting The Organic Gardener and is the author of A Gardener’s Notebook.
In Mt. Carroll Saturday morning, June 30, the Farmers’ Market opens at 7 a.m., and there will be a Master Gardener program, “Make Time for Thyme,” at 10 a.m. at the Market Street Commons. A free wine-tasting will be held at Driftless Area Stillroom in the Shops at Glenview at 116 W. Market St., Mt. Carroll, at 4 p.m., Saturday, June 30.
Don’t miss the “Bikes in Bloom” contest throughout Mt. Carroll, where businesses and residents decorate with plants and flowers, the “Gone Fishin’” Garden Art displays on Savanna’s Main Street and the “Flair with Chairs” garden décor lining Lanark’s Main Street.
Tickets are $10 (12 and younger admitted free) and are good all weekend at all gardens. They are available the days of the walk at: Savanna Train Car Museum (25 Chicago Ave., Savanna), Heirloom Market (2200 Illinois Route 84, Thomson), Market Street Commons (320 N. Main St., Mt. Carroll) and Twice-Sold Tales (100 S. Broad St., Lanark).
For more information, visit www.bwcvb.com or call 800-678-2108.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue