- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Gardening News: Carroll County Garden Walk June 29-July 1
The Second Annual Carroll County Garden Walk is set for June 29-July 1. The creative efforts of 20 gardeners in Savanna, Thomson, Mt. Carroll and Lanark will be featured during the event.
Gardens range from full city blocks to street-side beds formed by recycled concrete walls. Country gardens, cottage gardens, shade gardens, ponds, herbs, flowers and vegetables are all included.
Spend the weekend exploring scenic Carroll County and visit unique shops in Savanna, Thomson, Mt. Carroll, Lanark and Sabula, Iowa, full of unique art and décor for the home and garden. Area restaurants will also be offering specials for visitors traveling between towns.
Several special events will also be held over the weekend. A cookout is set for 5 to 6 p.m., Friday, June 29, at Heirloom Market in Thomson.
Free seminars Friday, June 29, will feature Bud LeFevre from Distinctive Gardens in Dixon, Ill., speaking about “Shade Plants” at 6:30 p.m., and Doug Oster speaking about “Ornamental Edibles” at 7:30 p.m.
Oster is an award-winning radio personality for KDKA Radio in Pittsburgh hosting The Organic Gardener and is the author of A Gardener’s Notebook.
In Mt. Carroll Saturday morning, June 30, the Farmers’ Market opens at 7 a.m., and there will be a Master Gardener program, “Make Time for Thyme,” at 10 a.m. at the Market Street Commons. A free wine-tasting will be held at Driftless Area Stillroom in the Shops at Glenview at 116 W. Market St., Mt. Carroll, at 4 p.m., Saturday, June 30.
Don’t miss the “Bikes in Bloom” contest throughout Mt. Carroll, where businesses and residents decorate with plants and flowers, the “Gone Fishin’” Garden Art displays on Savanna’s Main Street and the “Flair with Chairs” garden décor lining Lanark’s Main Street.
Tickets are $10 (12 and younger admitted free) and are good all weekend at all gardens. They are available the days of the walk at: Savanna Train Car Museum (25 Chicago Ave., Savanna), Heirloom Market (2200 Illinois Route 84, Thomson), Market Street Commons (320 N. Main St., Mt. Carroll) and Twice-Sold Tales (100 S. Broad St., Lanark).
For more information, visit www.bwcvb.com or call 800-678-2108.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue