- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
High School Starr of Excellence Award winners named
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center has announced the winners of the 2012 High School Starr of Excellence Award.
The 2012 winners are Andrew Hudson of Rockford Auburn High School, Daniel Walls of Rockford Boylan Catholic High School, Alex J. Smith of Christian Life High School, Paul Steffan of Keith Country Day School, Martin Willette of Rockford Lutheran High School, and Christina Sawyer of Rockford Christian High School.
Rockford East High School, Rockford Guilford High School, Rockford Jefferson High School and Roosevelt Community Education Center did not submit any nominations this year.
The High School Starr of Excellence Award is a $300 award and certificate presented annually to an outstanding senior music student at each of 10 Rockford area high schools. Recipients are selected by their school’s music department for excellence in their school music program and exemplary citizenship, both at school and in the Rockford community.
The Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center inaugurated the High School Starr of Excellence Award in 1984 as part of the organization’s centennial celebration. The award was made possible by an original endowment from the Ingersoll Foundation, and continues due in part to the Ruth V. Boen Educational Memorial Fund and the Carmen Pursley Memorial Fund.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue