- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
High School Starr of Excellence Award winners named
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center has announced the winners of the 2012 High School Starr of Excellence Award.
The 2012 winners are Andrew Hudson of Rockford Auburn High School, Daniel Walls of Rockford Boylan Catholic High School, Alex J. Smith of Christian Life High School, Paul Steffan of Keith Country Day School, Martin Willette of Rockford Lutheran High School, and Christina Sawyer of Rockford Christian High School.
Rockford East High School, Rockford Guilford High School, Rockford Jefferson High School and Roosevelt Community Education Center did not submit any nominations this year.
The High School Starr of Excellence Award is a $300 award and certificate presented annually to an outstanding senior music student at each of 10 Rockford area high schools. Recipients are selected by their school’s music department for excellence in their school music program and exemplary citizenship, both at school and in the Rockford community.
The Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center inaugurated the High School Starr of Excellence Award in 1984 as part of the organization’s centennial celebration. The award was made possible by an original endowment from the Ingersoll Foundation, and continues due in part to the Ruth V. Boen Educational Memorial Fund and the Carmen Pursley Memorial Fund.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue