- Tech-Friendly: Get the LG G Flex 2 and other big smartphones at U.S. Cellular
- State Roundup: Unfunded pension liability greater impact than fluctuating revenue
- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
Railfan Weekend June 23-24 at East Troy Electric Railroad
EAST TROY, Wis. — The East Troy Electric Railroad will celebrate 105 years of railway history in southeast Wisconsin with its first special event of the season, Railfan Weekend, June 23-24.
The event will showcase the railroad’s entire fleet of trolleys and interurban coaches and allow visitors to ride all day for a nominal fare.
From a 1907 maintenance trolley that responded to railway emergencies by parent Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company to a meticulously restored double-truck streetcar that once served as a storage shed, the entire collection of the East Troy Electric Railroad will be on display during Railfan Weekend. Visitors will have the opportunity to ride on a number of trolleys and interurban coaches and examine the cars awaiting restoration.
The event will run 11 a.m.-4 p.m., both Saturday and Sunday, June 23-24. The East Troy Electric Railroad is at 2002 Church St., East Troy, Wis.
All special events, including Railfan Weekend, are included in the daily unlimited ride fare: $12.50 for adults; $10.50 for seniors; $8 for children ages 3-11; and children younger than 3 are free.
The East Troy Electric Railroad is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization run by volunteers committed to the operation and preservation of historic trolleys and interurban railcars. All proceeds and sales benefit the education and preservation work of this museum.
The railroad operates Memorial Day through October. For information about the East Troy Electric Railroad, visit www.easttroyrr.org or call (262) 642-3263.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue