- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Rockford Dance Company offers summer camp opportunities
For the first time, Rockford Dance Company (RDC) will present All About Dance! Camp this summer for dancers 7 to 12 years old.
Unlike other RDC camps, this will be an all-day offering giving students an extended opportunity to learn and play through a variety of dance styles and activities.
Dancers can sign up for All About Dance! Camp June 25-29 or Aug. 6-10. Both sessions are 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. Cost for this dance-filled week is $275.
This week-long camp explores the movements and terminology of various dance styles including ballet, modern, jazz and folk. The fun and learning does not stop with these dances. Because of the extended nature of the camp, students are given additional opportunities for creativity and learning through the creation of a dance. Additionally, participants get the unique opportunity to do some “behind the scenes” work by creating their own costume and sets for a mini performance at the end of the week.
The fun and creative environment of this camp is ideal for any child looking to get to know other dancers, learn more about dancing and expressing their creative side.
Along with the All About Dance! Camp, the RDC is offering ballet-themed dance camps and DanceSport! again this summer.
For the younger dancers ages 3 to 6 years old, there are three ballet-themed dance camps over the course of the summer. Boys and girls ages 3-4 will focus on Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, while 5- to 6-year-olds will dance to the music of Swan Lake and Sugar Plum.
Along with learning ballet, folk, and other creative dance movements, these young dancers will enjoy games, crafts and select dance media. This fun-filled week will end in each dancer performing a special princess (or prince) dance, while wearing a self-designed tiara or crown.
Camp sessions for the ballet-themed dance camps are June 25-29, July 30-Aug. 3, and Aug. 6-10. Each camp runs 9:30-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday, and the cost for each week is $85.
Designed specifically for boys ages 6 to 10 and led by Artistic Director Matthew Keefe, DanceSport! combines aerobic fitness, strengthening and stretching in the form of exercises inspired by dance and familiar sports. Boys will enjoy this unique take on traditional dance and will have the opportunity to get to know other male dancers. This camp occurs only once, July 30-Aug. 3. Camp runs 9:30-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday, and cost is $85.
RDC’s offices and five state-of-the-art studios are in Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. For more information, visit www.rockforddancecompany.com.
From the June 20-26, 2012, issue