- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Cycling: Professional bike race in Beloit, Wis., July 12
• Races begin at 9:30 a.m. and finish around 9 p.m., interspersed by youth events
BELOIT, Wis. — Beloit, Wis., will be a host city for an International Cycling Classic and Superweek Pro Tour professional bicycle race in downtown Beloit Thursday, July 12.
The 17-day, 13-city race series attracts bikers from around the world. More than 500 participants are expected in the race series, including several who will head off to the 2012 Olympics after the race series.
July 6-22, the racers will be making their way from city to city in Illinois and Wisconsin to compete in various races and challenges, arriving in Beloit July 12. In Beloit, the races will begin at 9:30 a.m. and finish around 9 p.m., interspersed by youth events and amateur races around the city center race course.
Be Active Outdoors (BAO) is the coordinating organization behind the Beloit Superweek Bike Race. Be Active Outdoors is a regional nonprofit established to encourage individuals to be active in the outdoors by removing barriers to local outdoor recreational activities. One of BAO’s current programs is called BikeWORKS, set up for youth to earn donated bikes and learn to repair their own bikes by attending classes about bicycle repair, safety and maintenance.
Be Active Outdoors is seeking sponsors to assist with expenses related to bringing the event to Beloit. Volunteers are also needed to help with various tasks throughout the day. Those interested in volunteering should contact Paddle and Trail at (608)-362-6521, or send your name, phone number and time available to work to email@example.com. More about the International Cycling Classic and Superweek Pro Tour can be found at www.internationalcycling.com.
From the June 27-July 3, 2012, issue