- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
Durand kicks off Fourth of July festivities June 30
DURAND, Ill. — Durand’s Second Annual Fireworks 5K Run and Walk Saturday, June 30, kicks off the town’s three-day Fourth of July Festival with activities for the whole family.
Since Independence Day is in the middle of the week, activities are scheduled for the prior Saturday and Sunday, along with Wednesday, July 4, to allow people time to enjoy the events.
One new event this year is the Kids Meet-A-Machine Sunday, July 1. During the event, kids are invited to get a close-up look at mighty, powerful and unusual vehicles such as commercial, agricultural, construction, military and other such machines that will be on display on the streets of Durand.
The events and times are as follow, by day:
Saturday, June 30
8-9 a.m. — 5K Run/Walk, Town Square
9-10 a.m. — 3-Mile Family Bicycle Ride, Town Square
9 a.m.-4 p.m. — Blood Drive
10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. — Fun Fair for Kids, Town Square
2-4:30 p.m. — Go-Kart Practice/Kids Race, Town Square
7-8 p.m. — Youth Concert
7-9 p.m. — Fun Fair, United Methodist Church
8 p.m.-midnight — Street Dance, Town Square
Sunday, July 1
9:30-10 a.m. — Interdenominational Religious Service, Saelens Park
10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. — Kids Meet-A-Machine, in town
10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. — Go-Kart Races, Town Square
Noon — Ice Cream Social & Pork Sandwiches, United Methodist Church
1:30-2:30 p.m. — Kids’ Parade/Town Parade, Town Square
2-3:30 p.m. — Go-Kart Races, Town Square
3:30-4:30 p.m. — Go-Kart Memorial Race, Town Square
4:30-5:30 p.m. — Famous Outhouse Races, Town Square
Wednesday, July 4
8 a.m.-1 p.m. — Bulldog Festival Bicycle Ride 16, 45, 65 miles, Durand High School
10 a.m.-11 p.m. — Durand Ecumenical Service, Durand High School Gym
10 a.m.-4 p.m. — Antique Tractor Pulls, Durand American Legion
11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. — Chicken Barbecue, Durand American Legion
9:30-10 p.m. — Fireworks Display, Durand High School.
Most events are free. To register for the 5K Run, Kids Meet-A-Machine, parade or Outhouse Races, go to www.durandevents.com.
From the June 27-July 3, 2012, issue