- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Hockey: IceHogs re-sign winger Svendson for 2012-13
The Rockford IceHogs, members of the American Hockey League (AHL) and top affiliate of the National Hockey League’s Chicago Blackhawks, announced they have re-signed forward Brandon Svendson to an AHL contract for the 2012-13 season.
In 39 games with the IceHogs in 2011-12, Svendson accumulated 4g-10a-14pts. The winger also appeared in five games with the Binghamton Senators after beginning the year with the Kalamazoo Wings (ECHL), where he notched 13g-22a-35pts. Svendson signed an AHL contract for 2011-12 with Rockford Jan. 23 after playing seven games on a PTO.
The Maplewood, Minn., native has skated in 230 games throughout his professional hockey career, including 176 contests in the AHL with Rockford, Binghamton and the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
“We’re very excited about having Brandon back with the IceHogs for the upcoming season,” said Chicago Blackhawks General Manager of Minor League Affiliations Mark Bernard. “His character and ability as a player were very evident this past season, and his veteran presence is a great fit for our younger locker room.”
Svendson attended Rockford’s training camp last fall on a tryout, but was sent to Kalamazoo to start the season before getting another opportunity in January with the IceHogs.
“I’m really happy about returning to Rockford, and it’s a great situation for me to come into a place where I’m familiar with the organization and staff,” said Svendson. “It’s exciting to come back to a roster with a lot of returning players and good core group of guys. Pro hockey is unpredictable and anything can happen, but it’s a good opportunity for me to help the team and build on last season.”
The 5-foot-10, 176-pound forward has also appeared in ECHL contests with the Idaho Steelheads, Elmira Jackals and Kalamazoo Wings. Svendson helped Kalamazoo reach the 2011 Kelly Cup Finals, where he racked up 5g-7a-12pts in the postseason.
Before turning pro, Svendson attended Bowling Green State University (NCAA), where he played four seasons with the Falcons. He totaled 32g-44a-76pts in 148 collegiate games at BGSU.
Season ticket packages for the IceHogs’ 14th season of professional hockey in Rockford, including sixth as the AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks, are now on sale. Call (815) 847-6399 to reserve seats or visit icehogs.com for more information.
From the June 27-July 3, 2012, issue