- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Japanese view of gardens topic of June 28 event at Anderson Japanese Gardens
Online Staff Report
Westerners often think of home and garden as two separate things, using different words to describe “inside” and “outside” and placing a thick wall between the two. In Japan, however, the home and the garden function as one single living environment.
Rockford’s Anderson Japanese Gardens welcomes Doug Roth, founder and publisher of Sukiya Living magazine (The Journal of Japanese Gardening), as he focuses on Japanese gardens, Japanese residential architecture, and Japanese interior design that combined to create what he calls “The Sukiya Living Environment.”
Following his presentation, Roth will also be discussing the upcoming Anderson Japanese Gardens’ tour in October to Kyoto, Japan, the “real Japan that tourists rarely see.” The tour will include visiting some of the finest gardens in the world, sampling authentic Japanese cuisine, visiting the studios of artists and craftsmen, and numerous opportunities to learn about traditional Japanese activities including: ikebana, calligraphy and the tea ceremony.
Roth’s presentation begins at 7 p.m., Thursday, June 28, in the lower level gallery of Anderson Japanese Gardens. Cost is $5 for non-members, free for members. Register by contacting Kathy Boyd at (815) 316-3285 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit Anderson Japanese Gardens online at www.andersongardens.org.
Posted June 27, 2012