- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Japanese view of gardens topic of June 28 event at Anderson Japanese Gardens
Online Staff Report
Westerners often think of home and garden as two separate things, using different words to describe “inside” and “outside” and placing a thick wall between the two. In Japan, however, the home and the garden function as one single living environment.
Rockford’s Anderson Japanese Gardens welcomes Doug Roth, founder and publisher of Sukiya Living magazine (The Journal of Japanese Gardening), as he focuses on Japanese gardens, Japanese residential architecture, and Japanese interior design that combined to create what he calls “The Sukiya Living Environment.”
Following his presentation, Roth will also be discussing the upcoming Anderson Japanese Gardens’ tour in October to Kyoto, Japan, the “real Japan that tourists rarely see.” The tour will include visiting some of the finest gardens in the world, sampling authentic Japanese cuisine, visiting the studios of artists and craftsmen, and numerous opportunities to learn about traditional Japanese activities including: ikebana, calligraphy and the tea ceremony.
Roth’s presentation begins at 7 p.m., Thursday, June 28, in the lower level gallery of Anderson Japanese Gardens. Cost is $5 for non-members, free for members. Register by contacting Kathy Boyd at (815) 316-3285 or email@example.com. Visit Anderson Japanese Gardens online at www.andersongardens.org.
Posted June 27, 2012