- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Local student to attend summer science program
Local student and budding scientist Ceyda Bertram is one of only 19 American students chosen to attend the prestigious summer science program at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel, one of the world’s foremost centers of scientific research and graduate study.
Ceyda, a college-bound Rockford resident, applied for the 44th annual Dr. Bessie Lawrence International Summer Science Institute (ISSI) to pursue her passion for scientific research. She is looking for new experiences in science, and the variety of programs excited her to know she will learn things she may not have the chance to otherwise.
ISSI, a four-week, intensive science exploration, affords students the opportunity to work in small groups with world-renowned scientists and graduate students, conducting actual, ongoing research. Participants select a subject area in biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics or computer sciences. Senior Weizmann Institute scientists give supplemental lectures, and participants are invited to join departmental talks and visit the campus’ state-of-the-art science facilities.
Ceyda attended Guilford High School in Rockford and has previously done cancer research through the Summer Science Program at the University of Illinois College of Medicine-Rockford Campus. The first summer Ceyda was an intern, studying protein pathways and their alterations after chemotherapy in melanoma cells. Her second summer, she was both a volunteer and a mentor to a new intern.
From the June 27-July 3, 2012, issue