- State Roundup: State could see up to $500 million in unexpected revenue for current FY
- Tax revenues up, Rauner to restore $26 million ‘Good Friday’ cuts
- First Friday Lineup: May 1
- State Roundup: Former governor Walker passes away
- Mayors decry local funding cut proposal, say expect cuts to services
- Senate rejects bill to ban smoking in cars with children present
- Mayors warn of critical cuts if funds are reduced
- Rebuilding Rockford
- ComEd and river goers at same level?
- State Roundup: Governor visits IDOT listening tour, told he’s wrong on Turnaround
Rock River Valley Blood Center in need of blood donors prior to July 4 holiday
Online Staff Report
To ensure an adequate summer blood supply, Rock River Valley Blood Center (RRVBC) is asking healthy individuals to donate blood leading up to the Fourth of July holiday.
Whole blood and platelet donors and all blood types are needed.
RRVBC’s Jennifer Bowman said: “The Fourth of July is always a challenge. We will be closed on the holiday, and many of our donors are traveling or busy with family and friends. Our hospitals and trauma centers often have increased traffic and patient blood use during the summer. The blood must be ready to go when the calls come in, but we can’t do it without blood donors.”
RRVBC offers a free Cherry Berry Chiller from McDonald’s to all donors, and there are hot dogs on Wednesdays and ice-cold slushies throughout the summer (at select locations).
Donating blood is safe and simple. You are most likely able to donate if you are at least 17 years old (16-year-olds may donate with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health. People taking medications are not necessarily disqualified.
Four community donor centers are available throughout the area (Belvidere, Freeport and Rockford) as well as many mobile blood drives. Log on to www.rrvbc.org for hours, directions and mobile blood drive schedules.
RRVBC serves as a centralized, community blood center and is the sole provider of blood products and services to Beloit Memorial Hospital, Edgerton Hospital and Health Services, FHN, Mercy Harvard Hospital, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Rochelle Community Hospital, Rockford Health System, SwedishAmerican Health System and SwedishAmerican Medical Center — Belvidere.
For more information or to make an appointment to donate blood, call toll-free at 877-RRVBC-99 or find RRVBC on the web at www.rrvbc.org.
Posted June 27, 2012