- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
St. Paul Lutheran to install new associate pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church & School on Sunday, July 1, will install its new associate pastor for full-time ministry at its parish of two sites and school. The Rev. Keffie Deen, II, will serve in the areas of youth, young adults, outreach and evangelism, school sports, Bible teaching and general parish ministry. As an African-American minister, Pastor Deen brings a diversity in racial composition to parish staffing for St. Paul that reflects the changing nature of the parish itself to a racially diverse congregation along with its school, which enjoys a roughly half-and-half white/black ratio for its student body.
Pastor Deen grew up in Milwaukee and came into church involvement with his family through a Missouri Synod Lutheran congregation’s school ministry. After high school, he attended Concordia University Wisconsin (Mequon), where he earned a bachelor of science degree in Theology & Youth Ministry in 2003. Pastor Deen continued his studies to earn his master’s of divinity at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, after which he served his first call as chaplain and religion teacher at Lutheran High North in St. Louis.
Pastor Deen began his work with St. Paul Lutheran June 10. He’s been actively getting to know people and learning the workings of this parish with two sites on the west side, one at Locust and Horsman with the school, and the other at the intersection of Springfield/Riverside and Kilburn Avenue.
His installation will be at 4 p.m., Sunday, July 1, at St. Paul’s Northwest site, 4881 Kilburn Ave., with a meal and reception to follow. Pastor David Thies, the senior pastor at St. Paul, said: “Pastor Deen brings freshness and excitement to the diverse ministries of our parish. His gifts are uniquely suited to our needs as he joins our church and school team of workers proclaiming salvation and discipleship through Jesus Christ in learning and living.”
From the June 27-July 3, 2012, issue