- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
St. Paul Lutheran to install new associate pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church & School on Sunday, July 1, will install its new associate pastor for full-time ministry at its parish of two sites and school. The Rev. Keffie Deen, II, will serve in the areas of youth, young adults, outreach and evangelism, school sports, Bible teaching and general parish ministry. As an African-American minister, Pastor Deen brings a diversity in racial composition to parish staffing for St. Paul that reflects the changing nature of the parish itself to a racially diverse congregation along with its school, which enjoys a roughly half-and-half white/black ratio for its student body.
Pastor Deen grew up in Milwaukee and came into church involvement with his family through a Missouri Synod Lutheran congregation’s school ministry. After high school, he attended Concordia University Wisconsin (Mequon), where he earned a bachelor of science degree in Theology & Youth Ministry in 2003. Pastor Deen continued his studies to earn his master’s of divinity at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, after which he served his first call as chaplain and religion teacher at Lutheran High North in St. Louis.
Pastor Deen began his work with St. Paul Lutheran June 10. He’s been actively getting to know people and learning the workings of this parish with two sites on the west side, one at Locust and Horsman with the school, and the other at the intersection of Springfield/Riverside and Kilburn Avenue.
His installation will be at 4 p.m., Sunday, July 1, at St. Paul’s Northwest site, 4881 Kilburn Ave., with a meal and reception to follow. Pastor David Thies, the senior pastor at St. Paul, said: “Pastor Deen brings freshness and excitement to the diverse ministries of our parish. His gifts are uniquely suited to our needs as he joins our church and school team of workers proclaiming salvation and discipleship through Jesus Christ in learning and living.”
From the June 27-July 3, 2012, issue