- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Join Arbor Day Foundation in July and have 10 trees planted in a national forest
NEBRASKA CITY, Neb. — America’s forestland is a prized natural resource, and anyone can help plant much-needed trees in these vital areas by joining the Arbor Day Foundation.
Through the Replanting Our National Forests campaign, the Arbor Day Foundation will honor each new member who joins the foundation in July by planting 10 trees in forests that have been devastated by wildfires, insects and disease.
The cost for joining the Arbor Day Foundation is a $10 donation.
America’s national forests face enormous challenges, including unprecedented wildfires that have left a backlog of nearly 1 million acres in need of replanting. The Arbor Day Foundation has worked with the United States Forest Service for more than 20 years to plant trees in forests in need.
National forests need protection because they provide habitat for wildlife, keep the air clean and help ensure safe drinking water for more than 180 million Americans.
“Keeping our forests healthy is vital to the health of people and the entire planet,” said John Rosenow, founder and chief executive of the Arbor Day Foundation. “By planting trees in our national forests, we will preserve precious natural resources and the benefits they provide for generations to come.”
To join the Arbor Day Foundation and help plant trees in the national forests, send a $10 membership contribution to Replanting Our National Forests, Arbor Day Foundation, 100 Arbor Ave., Nebraska City, NE 68410, or visit arborday.org/july.
From the July 4-10, 2012, issue