- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Local teen rock opera film production takes aim at mean girls
Online Staff Report
Set in the halls of an all-girl high school, I Am the Music: A Rock Operetta takes on the tough subject of cyber bullying, cliques and mean girls. The production features a cast of more than 40 people, including 35 Girl Scouts, ages 7-17, from 23 cities around northern Illinois. Each girl auditioned and was chosen by the producers for her part in the musical.
Battling the epidemic of bullying across the country, Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois is partnering with the nationally-renowned filmmakers at Comtech Corporation to generate a video that raises awareness of how to stop bullying with the acceptance found in the Girl Scout Movement.
The program portfolio for the national Girl Scout Leadership Experience includes resources such as the aMAZE Journey for Girl Scouts in grades 6 to 8. At a critical time in their lives when they are searching for their own identities, girls in middle school benefit from a place where they can sort out the twists and turns of relationships. Girl Scouts and the aMAZE Journey does just that, while helping them to sort out everything they already know about friendship and giving them an opportunity to gather tips and strategies for interacting with all the people in their lives through fun, girl-led activities.
About aMAZE Journey Series
Life is a maze of relationships, and this journey has girls in grades 6 through 8 maneuvering through the “maze” to find true friendships, plenty of confidence and maybe even peace. In the aMAZE Journey, girls can earn:
• The Interact Award signifies girls can advance peace in the world around them — one interaction at a time.
• The Diplomat Award is earned when girls demonstrate they can use something they have learned about relationships to design and implement a project that benefits others.
• The Peacemaker Award invites girls to collect relationship “tools’ they can use and pass on to others along the journey.
• LiA (Leader in Action) Award is earned when girls put their skills to work assisting younger Girl Scout Brownies on their Journey Quest.
To see more on the project, cast and Comtech, visit the website and blog for I Am the Music: A Rock Operetta at www.iam-themusic.com. For behind-the-scenes photos and videos, IATM is on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/I-Am-The-Music-A-Rock-Operetta/427514777279010. For more about Girl Scout Journeys, visit http://www.girlscouts.org/program/journeys/.
Posted July 3, 2012