- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Misconceptions about Christianity
Most denominations are misquoting God’s word (the Bible)! But why? Simply because they are oversimplifying, skipping over certain verses.
So, instead, they make silly statements like, “All you need to be saved is to have faith in Jesus Christ. And once you are saved, you’re always saved.”
But this is only half of the salvation (faith alone) plan. Because they have omitted Acts 2:38: “And Peter said unto them, ‘Repent of your wrongdoings [sins] and let each of you be baptized (totally immersed) in the name of Jesus Christ. And you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’”
And when a person falls away from God’s saving grace, “their name shall be blotted out (removed) from the Lamb’s book of life.” [Revelation] Jesus Christ, who was, and is, the sacrificial lamb died for our sins.
Lastly, a fancy (ornate) meeting place isn’t actually God’s church. So here’s proof: “Where two or three people are gathered in my name, there is my church.” Where? It’s God’s people! And they can worship anywhere. That has a good atmosphere!
From the July 4-10, 2012, issue