- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Grammy nominee to headline July 20-22 Bookerfest at Davis Park
VaShawn Mitchell will headline the three-day Bookerfest festival, which runs Friday-Sunday, July 20-22, at Davis Park, 320 S. Wyman St., downtown Rockford.
Mitchell, who takes the stage at 5 p.m., Sunday, July 22, is a Stellar Award-winning gospel recording artist and Grammy nominee. He is best known for his hit single, “Nobody Greater,” and the prophetic “My Worship is For Real.”
Tickets for Mitchell’s concert go on sale Friday, July 13, and are available at Booker Washington Community Center, 524 Kent St., Rockford. Cost is $10. The community center can be reached at (815) 962-9117.
Bookerfest tickets are $5 at the gate or $3 in advance at Booker Washington Community Center, BMO Harris Bank Center box office or all Rockford-are Fifth Third Bank locations.
For more than 20 years, Booker Washington Community Center has presented Bookerfest, a weekend festival filled with entertainment and fun for all ages.
The festival kicks off with the Friday Night Flix movie presentation of Transformers. The event is free and begins at dusk Friday, July 20. Free popcorn will be distributed to the first 1,000 guests.
The festival runs noon-6 p.m., Saturday, July 21. Kidz Zone and vendors will be open all day. Other attractions include a Basketball Clinic — Youth Skills & Drills for grades 3 and younger; a 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament for boys and girls grades 4-8 (application required); Coupes & Cruisers motorcycle showcase; and Sound Stage performers in famous Dance Team, Fatally Unique, Propa Intro, CG, Will Inspire and Major.
Closing out Bookerfest at 8 p.m., Saturday, July 21, is comedian Nephew Tommy from the syndicated Steve Harvey Morning Show. Tommy will bring the laughs, as well as his famous prank calls, and material from his latest CD titled Church Folk Gotta Laugh Too. VIP ticket holders can enjoy a special lounge before the show and an exclusive after party with Nephew Tommy. Tickets are on sale at BMO Harris Bank Center, 300 Elm St., or by phone at (815) 968-5600.
Festival hours Sunday, July 22, are 1 p.m. until movie time. Featured attractions include Kidz Zone and vendors open all day; Coupes & Cruisers Old Skool Car Show; and Sound Stage performers VaShawn Mitchell, Boyce Hudson, Justifyed; Justin Francis; DJ Neal; Carl Hanserd & Friends, and People, Places & Time. Harlan Jefferson and his band, So So Tight, will headline the night beginning at 7 p.m. Featured movie starting at dusk is Think Like a Man. Admission to the movie is free for Bookerfest ticket holders and $5 for non-ticket holders.
For more about Bookerfest, visit www.bookerfest.com.
From the July 11-17, 2012, issue