- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Local girls win highest award in Girl Scouting
Rockford resident Ariana Munger and Roscoe, Ill., resident Genevieve Philipp were among the 22 Girl Scouts in northern Illinois who earned the Girl Scout Gold Award in 2012. The Girl Scout Gold Award is the highest award a Girl Scout can earn.
For her Girl Scout Gold Award Project, “Comfort Cases,” Munger created suitcases filled with pajamas, toiletries and comfort items for the Youth Services Bureau of Illinois Valley.
“Living in the Rockford area since elementary school has opened my eyes to the unfortunate situations young children deal with on an everyday basis,” Munger said. “Children are exposed to domestic violence, inadequate food and shelter, and a sheer lack of money that result in them being removed from their homes with nothing but the clothes on their backs. This led me to impact these children’s lives for the better.”
Philipp’s Girl Scout Gold Award Project, “American Spirit,” involved Philipp creating and leading a three-day patriotic camp that taught leadership to boys and girls ages 5-10.
“I chose this project because I felt there needed to be a camp for the community that had older kids teaching those younger than them about values and qualities of people that make the community stronger,” says Philipp.
Munger and Philipp were honored for their accomplishments June 10 at a Young Women of Distinction event hosted by the Girl Scouts of Northern Illinois. Philipp also received a Girl Scout Ambassador Scholarship at this event, alongside three other Ambassador Scholarship recipients, Alexandria Munger of Rockford, Annalyssa Fordell of Rockton and Sara Cortez of Roscoe.
From the July 11-17, 2012, issue