- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
- ‘Hogs fall just shy of Midwest title
- Fork and Stein Urban Gourmet delivers beer infused delicacies to Rockford
Pec River Fest Weekend July 13-15
LENA, Ill. — You are invited to the Pec River Fest Weekend July 13-15, sponsored by the Lena Community Park District. Each day’s events are scheduled as follows:
Friday, July 13 — Pontoon Rides
Come along on a one-hour evening ride on the Pecatonica River Trail. Rides begin at 4:30 p.m. at McNeil’s Damascus Landing. Last ride is at 7 p.m. Suggested donation is $10 per person.
Saturday, July 14 — Summer Flotilla
Enjoy a leisurely canoe or kayak paddle down the natural water trail of the Pecatonica River. The 7.9-mile tour begins at the McConnell Bobtown Landing and ends at McNeil’s Damascus Landing. Estimated time for the journey is 2-1/2 hours. A sag pontoon, lunch and shuttle transportation are included. A limited number of canoes and kayaks are available for rent. Registration is $20 or $30 with rental.
Sunday, July 15 — Canoe/Kayak Races
Hosted by the Lena Community Park District, Friends of the Pecatonica River and sanctioned by the Illinois Paddling Council. The recreational class will launch at Brewster’s Landing, Winslow, Ill., traveling downstream 6.7 miles. The competition class will launch at Browntown Public Boat Ramp, outside Browntown, Wis., traveling downstream 18.2 miles. Lunch and beverages will be provided to all participants. Lunch tickets will be available to purchase for spectators. Registration is $20.
McConnell’s “Bobtown” Landing (MLB) is one-quarter mile west of McConnell, Ill., at the bridge on McConnell Road. Maps will be provided at the MLB registration site with directions to Brewster’s Landing and the landing just west of Browntown for the racers. A lead vehicle will also be provided. Follow the registration instructions on each of the brochures.
For all events, advance registration is requested. Registration brochures can be found on the website at www.lenaparks.org. Or contact the park office at (815) 369-5351. For questions, call Jane Parks, superintendent of recreation, at (815) 990-0146.
From the July 11-17, 2012, issue