- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
U of I Extension helps attract good insects to your garden
Online Staff Report
University of Illinois Extension will be offering a low-cost, one-hour program about attracting beneficial insects to your garden. The program will be from 11 a.m. to noon, July 19, at Severson Dells Nature Center, 8786 Montague Road.
Candice Miller, Extension horticulture educator, will provide the information you need to identify beneficial insects in your garden, and will offer tips about attracting these insects and maintaining a population in your garden. She will also offer specific plant recommendations that will nurture natural pest control.
“Don’t kill that insect,” said Miller. It is always tempting to kill that lurking spider in your garden, but don’t do it! Spiders and many other beneficial insects can be a great benefit to your garden by helping to control those “bad” bugs assaulting your plants.
U of I Extension has introduced Miller as the newest addition to their team of educators. She recently received her master’s degree in agricultural education, as well as a bachelor’s degree in horticulture, from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She will be serving six northern Illinois counties, including Winnebago, Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Ogle, Boone and DeKalb.
The cost of the event is $5 per person; the program is open to the public. If you are interested in attending this program, as well as other programs in the Summer 2012 series, visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw or call the Extension office at (815) 986-4357.
Posted July 11, 2012