- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Benefits of rain barrels explored at July 31 workshop
Online Staff Report
University of Illinois Extension will offer a hands-on rain barrel workshop from 10:30 a.m. to noon, Tuesday, July 31, at the Winnebago County Extension office, 1040 N. Second St., Rockford.
Join Horticulture Educator Candice Miller to learn the benefits of installing a rain barrel on your property.
The benefits of installing a rain barrel go far beyond just saving money on your water bill. A rain barrel can reduce flooding in your yard, reduce run-off, provide cleaner water to your plants and much more.
So, why not make your own? Rain barrels are easy and economical to make, with simple supplies you can get at the hardware store.
Participants will construct their own rain barrel to take home. A $25 registration fee includes instruction and materials. Visit http://web.extension.illinois.edu/jsw or call (815) 986-4357 to register and for more information.
Posted July 25, 2012