- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
July 30 deadline for State of the Arts Award nominations
Rockford Area Arts Council (RAAC) urges the public to consider honoring an arts advocate, business, student, educator, individual artist or a creative cultural event with much-deserved arts recognition by submitting a nomination for a 2012 State of the Arts Award. Nomination forms are due to RAAC no later than July 30.
Nominees will be evaluated on the basis of the breadth and depth of their work and its impact on the Rockford area.
The Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award will honor a business that recognizes the importance of the arts through financial or in-kind support, use of the arts in the workplace, and/or encouragement of employees to volunteer for the arts or otherwise serves as an advocate for the arts; an arts advocate whose efforts in advocacy, support and/or volunteerism in the arts have generated a significant positive impact on the community over a period of time; a student honoring a high school-aged student’s artistic talent and community involvement in the arts during the student’s high school years; or an educator who has enriched lives, inspired excellence, introduced children to the arts or expanded opportunities for children to learn through the arts.
The Individual Artist honors an artist whose achievements and commitment to the arts have generated a significant and positive impact on the community over a period of time.
The Creative Cultural Event recognizes an exhibit, performance, festival, series or special event during the 2011-2012 season that brought heightened visibility to the arts.
Awards will be presented at the 2012 State of the Arts Awards at Cliffbreakers, 700 W. Riverside Blvd., Rockford, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 3.
Nomination forms are available at the RAAC or may be downloaded at www.artsforeveryone.com.
The RAAC supports, promotes and develops the arts for everyone in the northern Illinois region. RAAC is guided by the vision of a community in which everyone enjoys and participates in the arts — and a community in which successful artist and arts organizations contribute to the vitality of the economy and quality of life.
From the July 25-31, 2012