- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Local band competes in Illinois Teen Battle of the Bands
Rockford-area band Desolation Row is advancing to the Regional Competition for the Illinois Teen Battle of the Bands.
After a win at the local battle in Sycamore, Ill., they are advancing to the regional competition at the Algonquin Founders Days Festival July 29. With a win at Algonquin, they would advance to the finals at the Ilinois State Fair.
Desolation Row is the only Rockford-area band to compete in this event, with most of the bands coming from the greater Chicago area.
For the last nine years, members of the Illinois Park & Recreation Association’s Teen Committee have been cooperating to host a unique opportunity for teen bands in Illinois.
The committee is responsible every year for coordinating the numerous local teen battle of the bands events that take place all over the state, placing winners into regional competitions, and finally running the state finals, which take place every August at the Illinois State Fair.
Approximately 120 bands participate in the event each year and compete to win prizes that have included everything from studio time to band makeovers.
Judges give the bands feedback at each level of competition, and the top bands often win additional chances to play at other events, along with other prizes.
Desolation Row is a favorite in the Rockford area, performing at area establishments like the Hope and Anchor in Loves Park, Logan’s Bar and Grill in Freeport, along with local festivals. They have opened for national touring act Caroline’s Spine, and they recently opened for national touring act Fill The Silence.
Desolation Row consists of Alex Spors, Jarrett Finley, and Jacob and Jared Hoey. Alex, Jacob and Jared are cousins, while Alex and Jarrett have been friends since first grade.
Alex and Jarrett both graduated from Winnebago High School in 2011 and are both college sophomores. Jared and Jacob are both upperclassmen at Stillman Valley High School. They have been playing together for more than three years, and put on an awesome show with musical numbers ranging from songs by Bon Jovi and Def Leppard to Papa Roach and The Black Keys.
The band can be found on their Facebook fan page and at www.desolationrow.net.
From the July 25-31, 2012, issue