- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Artists sought for art show at local funeral home; July 31 deadline
Online Staff Report
Grace Funeral and Cremation Services will host a truly unique art show to support and promote local artists and the Rockford Area Arts Council. The show will run 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday and Friday, March 7-8, 2013.
Artwork by various local artists will be displayed on several coffins and bamboo and aluminum urns. The finished artwork will then be auctioned off with proceeds benefiting the Rockford Area Arts Council, whose mission is to bring the arts to everyone through grants, advocacy and promotion of the arts.
Kristan McNames, owner of Grace Funeral and Cremation Services, said: “This art show presents a unique opportunity to showcase the incredible amount of creative talent in our city. We believe that a thriving, vibrant community needs to provide art enrichment opportunities. Our funeral home is truly unlike any other in the area, and we wanted to plan an event as unique as the services that we provide to people we serve.”
Artists interested in participating should contact the Rockford Area Arts Council at (815)963-6765 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 31. Artists will be provided a work space, if required, and coffins and urns can be delivered, if needed. Artists are encouraged to make this a collaborative project, and each artist should submit three examples of their work in electronic image files.
The show will be at Grace Funeral and Cremation Services, 1340 S. Alpine Road, at Colonial Village Mall. For more information, visit www.gracefh.com.
Posted July 26, 2012