- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
Artists sought for art show at local funeral home; July 31 deadline
Online Staff Report
Grace Funeral and Cremation Services will host a truly unique art show to support and promote local artists and the Rockford Area Arts Council. The show will run 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday and Friday, March 7-8, 2013.
Artwork by various local artists will be displayed on several coffins and bamboo and aluminum urns. The finished artwork will then be auctioned off with proceeds benefiting the Rockford Area Arts Council, whose mission is to bring the arts to everyone through grants, advocacy and promotion of the arts.
Kristan McNames, owner of Grace Funeral and Cremation Services, said: “This art show presents a unique opportunity to showcase the incredible amount of creative talent in our city. We believe that a thriving, vibrant community needs to provide art enrichment opportunities. Our funeral home is truly unlike any other in the area, and we wanted to plan an event as unique as the services that we provide to people we serve.”
Artists interested in participating should contact the Rockford Area Arts Council at (815)963-6765 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 31. Artists will be provided a work space, if required, and coffins and urns can be delivered, if needed. Artists are encouraged to make this a collaborative project, and each artist should submit three examples of their work in electronic image files.
The show will be at Grace Funeral and Cremation Services, 1340 S. Alpine Road, at Colonial Village Mall. For more information, visit www.gracefh.com.
Posted July 26, 2012