- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
28th Annual State Street Mile set for Aug. 4 downtown
Post-race event will be at Kryptonite, corner of State and Main
• Event also includes a 1-Mile Health Walk, with portion of proceeds benefiting the Boys & Girls Club of Rockford
This year, the 28th Annual State Street Mile will be held Aug. 4 in downtown Rockford — and registration is now available.
The event, presented by SwedishAmerican Health System, includes six individual races including an Open Run; a Kids’ Fun Run; the Masters Competition; a Ben Newson Jr. run for both boys and girls kindgergarten through 12th grade; and a brand-new event, the 1-Mile Health Walk, for individuals, families and organizations that want to participate in the festivities. A portion of the proceeds from the Health Walk will benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Rockford.
The Health Walk, Masters, Ben Newson Jr. and Open heats all start at the entrance to SwedishAmerican Hospital at East State Street and Summit, and finish on the State Street bridge. The Kids’ Fun Run will be on the State Street bridge.
The post-race festival will be at the corner of State Street and Main in front of Kryptonite. The festival will feature local music, food and beverages from local vendors. In addition, all paid entries receive a 2012 Magic Waters pass, while supplies last.
Participants can pick up entry forms at the Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, 102 N. Main St.; Adams Letter Services, 222 N. Rockton Ave.; Runner’s Image, 219 E. State St.; or online at www.signmeup.com/84518.
For more details, contact State Street Mile co-chairmen Mark Hepworth at (815) 985-8096 or Scott Saporiti at (815) 543-1567, or e-mail email@example.com.
From the Aug. 1-7, 2012, issue