- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
28th Annual State Street Mile set for Aug. 4 downtown
Post-race event will be at Kryptonite, corner of State and Main
• Event also includes a 1-Mile Health Walk, with portion of proceeds benefiting the Boys & Girls Club of Rockford
This year, the 28th Annual State Street Mile will be held Aug. 4 in downtown Rockford — and registration is now available.
The event, presented by SwedishAmerican Health System, includes six individual races including an Open Run; a Kids’ Fun Run; the Masters Competition; a Ben Newson Jr. run for both boys and girls kindgergarten through 12th grade; and a brand-new event, the 1-Mile Health Walk, for individuals, families and organizations that want to participate in the festivities. A portion of the proceeds from the Health Walk will benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Rockford.
The Health Walk, Masters, Ben Newson Jr. and Open heats all start at the entrance to SwedishAmerican Hospital at East State Street and Summit, and finish on the State Street bridge. The Kids’ Fun Run will be on the State Street bridge.
The post-race festival will be at the corner of State Street and Main in front of Kryptonite. The festival will feature local music, food and beverages from local vendors. In addition, all paid entries receive a 2012 Magic Waters pass, while supplies last.
Participants can pick up entry forms at the Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, 102 N. Main St.; Adams Letter Services, 222 N. Rockton Ave.; Runner’s Image, 219 E. State St.; or online at www.signmeup.com/84518.
For more details, contact State Street Mile co-chairmen Mark Hepworth at (815) 985-8096 or Scott Saporiti at (815) 543-1567, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Aug. 1-7, 2012, issue