- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
College Football: NIU Huskies open 2012 season at Soldier Field Sept. 1
By Doug Halberstadt
The Northern Illinois University (NIU) Huskies hold the longest winning streak in the FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision). They won their final nine games of the 2011 season, including the Mid-American Conference Championship and GoDaddy.com Bowl. That record will be on the line when they open up their 2012 season Saturday, Sept. 1, with a non-conference game against the Iowa Hawkeyes at Soldier Field in Chicago.
The Huskies were recently picked to finish second in the West Division of the Mid-American Conference. This is the second year in a row members of the media representing league markets in the MAC have picked the Huskies to be the runner-up. The MAC media members have picked the University of Toledo as the pre-season favorite in the West. The Huskies will have a showdown with Toledo in DeKalb Wednesday night, Nov. 14.
Toledo garnered seven first-place votes from the 17 poll voters to outdistance Northern by four points, 87-83. The Huskies, who earned five first-place votes, were followed closely by Western Michigan, who collected 79 points and four first-place votes. Ball State (42 points), Eastern Michigan (34) and Central Michigan (32) rounded out the West voting.
The Ohio Bobcats are the favorites in the East Division. The Bobcats dropped a 23-20 decision to the Huskies in the MAC Championship game a year ago, and are picked to win the overall title in 2012, and the Bobcats earned all 17 first-place votes in the East Division. Ohio was followed by Bowling Green (91 points), Miami (84) and Kent State (76).
Five voters picked Ohio to win the Marathon MAC Championship game while Toledo was picked by three voters and NIU, WMU and Central Michigan each earned one vote.
Northern Illinois 2012 football season tickets are on sale through the NIU Athletics External Office at (815) 753-1923 or online at www.NIUHuskies.com.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Aug. 1-7, 2012, issue