- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Life is a Highway Memorial Ride part Deuce
June 27, 2011, 10-year-old Mason Frickman passed away unexpectedly and is missed very much by his parents, who still remember how much he enriched their lives. Mason was an amazing little boy and touched so many lives with his bigger-than-life personality. Mason had autism and suffered from frequent seizures.
Mason loved his school, Easter Seals’ Therapeutic School in Rockford, and he gained many benefits from attending.
Last July, the first Mason Frickman “Life is a Highway” memorial ride and benefit was held in Mason’s honor to help his parents with unexpected medical expenses as a result of his untimely passing. The benefit was a huge success.
This year, the Frickman family and friends are hosting the Mason Frickman “Life is a Highway” part Deuce memorial ride and benefit with 100 percent of the proceeds going directly to the Easter Seals’ Therapeutic School in Rockford. The benefit will be held at the American Legion, 900 W. Chrysler Drive, Belvidere, starting at 9 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 4. The benefit will feature a memorial ride, food, silent auction, door prizes, bake sale and two live bands.
Registration opens at 9 a.m. The first bike out will be at 10 a.m., and last bike out is at 11 a.m. Food serving starts at 1 p.m. Special feature will be a poker run, at $10 per person. Food and benefit only is $5 per person. The event includes door prizes, raffles, a silent auction and a live auction of Easter Seals artwork. Enjoy live music by two bands.
Monetary donations can be made at: Alpine Bank, P.O. Box 6086, Rockford, IL 61125, Attn: Personal Banking. For more information, call Gloria Totz at (815) 978-2334.
From the Aug. 1-7, 2012, issue