- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Music Academy begins Youth Chorale for ages 8-12
The Music Academy of Rockford is establishing an Academy Youth Chorale open to students ages 8 to 12 years of age.
Chorale classes will be held during the school year at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 921 Third Ave., Rockford, beginning this fall.
Our voices are our natural instruments. Academy Youth Chorale (AYC) will provide young singers the experience of discovering and fine-tuning their own natural instruments.
During weekly sessions, students will learn to hear musical intervals, and how to shape a phrase and sustain a tune through natural breathing techniques.
AYC members can apply what they learn as singers to the study of any other chosen instrument.
Chorale instructors are Libby and Jesse Parker. Libby Parker was the founding director of the Eastside Junior Chorus in Seattle. She is a vocal performer who has had roles with the San Francisco Opera, Western Opera Theater and the Los Angeles Touring Company.
Jesse Parker is a pianist and will be the permanent accompanist of the chorale. He has served on the faculty of Santa Clara University, The University of Texas at Dallas and Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle. In Dallas, he founded the Dallas Piano Trio.
Tuition for the Academy Youth Chorale is $295 per school year. It includes 26 weeks of instruction. Scholarship and financial aid are available to a limited number of students.
The Music Academy is a not-for-profit community school of music dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable instruction and performing opportunities to students regardless of age and ability. It is the mission of the Music Academy to inspire in students a life-long love of music and the arts.
The Music Academy is in Loreen Hall, 226 S. Second St., next to First Lutheran Church, in Rockford. For more information, call (815) 986-0037, or go to www.MusicAcademyInRockford.com.
From the Aug. 1-7, 2012, issue