- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
New leadership at Booker Washington Center
Dan Lewandowski has taken over as president of the board of directors of Booker Washington Community Center, and Robert King has become the interim executive director. Lewandowski and King bring leadership experience and share the same vision to improve Booker and its standing in the community.
Lewandowski, an attorney who has his law practice in Rockford, most recently served as vice president of the board of directors for the community center. He brings a diverse background and history of public service to his new position of president.
“I am excited about the opportunity to use my background and experience to help take Booker to another level in providing much-needed quality services to the community,” Lewandowski said.
King brings 11 years of management experience to his new position of interim executive director, as well as more than 22 years in sales, investments and business banking. He most recently served as president of the board of directors for the community center and vice president of Associated Bank in the Rockford market. He is responsible for the overall management of Booker’s employees and oversees daily operations. Other duties include monitoring the annual budget, development and evaluation of programs, and implementation of marketing and advertising strategies.
“I am excited about our restructuring efforts and moving to the next level,” King said.
Booker Washington Community Center, in southwest Rockford, is a 96-year-old nonprofit community center that focuses on educational and social service programs for a predominantly African-American population. It is nationally recognized for its iconic work and holds an honorable mention in the United States Congress as Illinois’ oldest African-American community center. For more information, visit www.bookerwashingtoncc.org.
From the Aug. 1-7, 2012, issue