- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Pro wrestling event at RiverHawks Stadium Aug. 18
LOVES PARK, Ill. — Promoters of Old School Wrestling and the World Wrestling Zone have signed agreements to bring their traveling sports entertainment production to the Rockford RiverHawks’ stadium Aug. 18.
Being billed as a co-production of Pro Wrestling/Rock Concert, concert and wrestling promoters are assuring Rockford-area fans that they are going to see “one of the best summer entertainment spectacles in recent years.”
The promoters have signed on with former WWE and reality show stars the Honky Tonk Man and Greg “The Hammer” Valentine.
“These are two of the greatest stars in the last 30 years of wrestling,” said Steve Gilgorovic, promoter. “You are talking about two stars that have wrestled all over the world and in front of hundreds of millions of fans. It’s a great coup for us and for Rockford.”
The Honky Tonk Man, billed as “The greatest Intercontinental Champion of all-time,” will go for the gold as he has agreed to wrestle the AWA World Heavyweight champion the Illustrious Jonnie Stewart in a world title match.
“I haven’t been in a title match in a long time,” said the Honky Tonk Man, from his Nashville summer home. “I am actually excited and will be flying to Phoenix to train for the next four weeks so that I can become the greatest AWA world champion, too!”
In addition, one of the greatest and longest paired Midwest area tag-teams, Heaven and Hell a.k.a. the Twin Turbos, will be appearing. These former AWA tag-team champions and current WWZ tag-team champions will take to the ring against the Manson Brothers as they clash with an old score to settle. The identical brother duo will not fail to give the fans one of the hottest wrestling matches, as they always do on any wrestling card they appear on throughout the country.
Also signed will be the 7-foot-tall human oddity the Minnesota Nightmare, Mr. Rudy Vallay, a World League Wrestling Ladies Title defense and much more.
Before the wrestling action begins, promoters have secured the Earthen Grave Band with special guest performer violinist Rachel Barton Pine to perform live.
From the Aug. 1-7, 2012, issue