- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Rock Valley Festival Orchestra performs at Music Shell Aug. 7
Online Staff Report
The new Rock Valley Festival Orchestra will perform a free concert at 7:30 p.m., Aug. 7, at the Sinnissippi Music Shell (inside Sinnissippi Park, 1401 N. Second St.; rain site will be indoors at Rockford Guilford High School).
This is a new orchestra that features performers from the Rockford area, including teachers and students from The Music Academy of Rockford, Rock Valley College and the Rockford Symphony.
The orchestra is led by Michael Beert, professor of music at Rock Valley College and director of the Rock Valley College and Community Orchestra. He is principal cellist of the Rockford Symphony Orchestra, and played and soloed with the Rockford Park District Pops Orchestra for many summers.
This year’s soloist is Joanna Nerius, a violin graduate of the Music Academy, who will be performing Sarasate’s masterpiece, “Zigeunerweisen.”
On the program is Rossini’s “Overture to The Italian Girl in Algiers,” Vaughan Williams’ “English Folk Song Suite” and “Dvorak Symphony No. 8.”
For more information, contact Beert at (815) 921-3343.
Posted Aug. 1, 2012