- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
Rock Valley Festival Orchestra performs at Music Shell Aug. 7
Online Staff Report
The new Rock Valley Festival Orchestra will perform a free concert at 7:30 p.m., Aug. 7, at the Sinnissippi Music Shell (inside Sinnissippi Park, 1401 N. Second St.; rain site will be indoors at Rockford Guilford High School).
This is a new orchestra that features performers from the Rockford area, including teachers and students from The Music Academy of Rockford, Rock Valley College and the Rockford Symphony.
The orchestra is led by Michael Beert, professor of music at Rock Valley College and director of the Rock Valley College and Community Orchestra. He is principal cellist of the Rockford Symphony Orchestra, and played and soloed with the Rockford Park District Pops Orchestra for many summers.
This year’s soloist is Joanna Nerius, a violin graduate of the Music Academy, who will be performing Sarasate’s masterpiece, “Zigeunerweisen.”
On the program is Rossini’s “Overture to The Italian Girl in Algiers,” Vaughan Williams’ “English Folk Song Suite” and “Dvorak Symphony No. 8.”
For more information, contact Beert at (815) 921-3343.
Posted Aug. 1, 2012