- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
- BREAKING: Rauner vetoes state budget
Rock Valley Festival Orchestra performs at Music Shell Aug. 7
Online Staff Report
The new Rock Valley Festival Orchestra will perform a free concert at 7:30 p.m., Aug. 7, at the Sinnissippi Music Shell (inside Sinnissippi Park, 1401 N. Second St.; rain site will be indoors at Rockford Guilford High School).
This is a new orchestra that features performers from the Rockford area, including teachers and students from The Music Academy of Rockford, Rock Valley College and the Rockford Symphony.
The orchestra is led by Michael Beert, professor of music at Rock Valley College and director of the Rock Valley College and Community Orchestra. He is principal cellist of the Rockford Symphony Orchestra, and played and soloed with the Rockford Park District Pops Orchestra for many summers.
This year’s soloist is Joanna Nerius, a violin graduate of the Music Academy, who will be performing Sarasate’s masterpiece, “Zigeunerweisen.”
On the program is Rossini’s “Overture to The Italian Girl in Algiers,” Vaughan Williams’ “English Folk Song Suite” and “Dvorak Symphony No. 8.”
For more information, contact Beert at (815) 921-3343.
Posted Aug. 1, 2012