- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
Rock Valley Festival Orchestra performs at Music Shell Aug. 7
Online Staff Report
The new Rock Valley Festival Orchestra will perform a free concert at 7:30 p.m., Aug. 7, at the Sinnissippi Music Shell (inside Sinnissippi Park, 1401 N. Second St.; rain site will be indoors at Rockford Guilford High School).
This is a new orchestra that features performers from the Rockford area, including teachers and students from The Music Academy of Rockford, Rock Valley College and the Rockford Symphony.
The orchestra is led by Michael Beert, professor of music at Rock Valley College and director of the Rock Valley College and Community Orchestra. He is principal cellist of the Rockford Symphony Orchestra, and played and soloed with the Rockford Park District Pops Orchestra for many summers.
This year’s soloist is Joanna Nerius, a violin graduate of the Music Academy, who will be performing Sarasate’s masterpiece, “Zigeunerweisen.”
On the program is Rossini’s “Overture to The Italian Girl in Algiers,” Vaughan Williams’ “English Folk Song Suite” and “Dvorak Symphony No. 8.”
For more information, contact Beert at (815) 921-3343.
Posted Aug. 1, 2012