- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Rock Valley Festival Orchestra performs at Music Shell Aug. 7
Online Staff Report
The new Rock Valley Festival Orchestra will perform a free concert at 7:30 p.m., Aug. 7, at the Sinnissippi Music Shell (inside Sinnissippi Park, 1401 N. Second St.; rain site will be indoors at Rockford Guilford High School).
This is a new orchestra that features performers from the Rockford area, including teachers and students from The Music Academy of Rockford, Rock Valley College and the Rockford Symphony.
The orchestra is led by Michael Beert, professor of music at Rock Valley College and director of the Rock Valley College and Community Orchestra. He is principal cellist of the Rockford Symphony Orchestra, and played and soloed with the Rockford Park District Pops Orchestra for many summers.
This year’s soloist is Joanna Nerius, a violin graduate of the Music Academy, who will be performing Sarasate’s masterpiece, “Zigeunerweisen.”
On the program is Rossini’s “Overture to The Italian Girl in Algiers,” Vaughan Williams’ “English Folk Song Suite” and “Dvorak Symphony No. 8.”
For more information, contact Beert at (815) 921-3343.
Posted Aug. 1, 2012