- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Aug. 17 deadline to enter Durand chili competition
DURAND, Ill. — Chili chefs who think their recipes are the best are invited to prove it at the 10th Annual Durand Biker Bash and Chili Shoot Out, where hundreds of motorcyclists converge on the town to sample the fare.
The event will be on the town square from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 8, rain or shine, with chili sampling beginning at 1 p.m. and judging at 5:30 p.m.
Judging will be by an independent panel. Entrants are required to have a Winnebago County Health permit, which the event organizers will obtain for registrants.
There is no entry fee this year. A $50 deposit is required, which will be refunded on the day of the show. Entry forms are available at www.durandevents.com or by calling (815) 248-2762. Entry deadline is Aug. 17.
All types of motorcycles are invited to the Biker Bash. There will be various categories for judging, with registration beginning at 11 a.m. and cycles being judged at 3 p.m.
Other activities include live music by two bands — Syrens at noon and Shifty Shafer at 4:30 p.m. — food, drink, vendor booths, raffles and more. Proceeds from the event benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
For more information, call (815) 494-3446 or visit www.durandevents.com.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue