- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
- Impacts of low oil prices
- Monica Lewinsky takes aim at online bullying
- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
Auto News: Lifescape, AARP offer refresher course for older drivers
For the third year, Lifescape and AARP are teaming up to offer a refresher course during the annual Senior EXPO, held Sept. 13-14. The course is designed to help older drivers maintain their mobility and independence while improving their safe driving skills.
The safety course will be at Indoor Sports Center, 8800 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park. The event runs 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. both days.
Many older drivers may modify their driving habits as a result of declining capabilities, but safety reports show senior drivers are more likely to be involved in multi- vehicle accidents, especially at intersections. That’s why programs like this are important — not only to the senior driver, but to the general driving public.
The course is specially designed for drivers 50 years of age and older. Participants will receive information reviewing the rules of the road with an emphasis on safety strategies for the older driver.
The course is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members.
To register, contact Cheryl Davis at Lifescape Community Services at (815) 963-1609.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue