- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Guest Column: Volunteers sought for Third Annual Rock River Sweep
By Loren Floto
It’s time to mark your calendars once again for the Third Annual Rock River Sweep!
We will meet at 9 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 8, at the gazebo in Settler’s Park (301 E. Main St., Rockton, Ill.) for a morning of community service, riverbank cleanup, refreshments and door prizes.
Tricia Nelson and I will again head up this year’s event, and we certainly appreciated the help participants gave us last year. We removed more than 3,000 pounds of refuse from our local section on the river.
Walkers are welcome, along with boaters, kayakers and canoers. Participants will be provided with gloves, bags, water, snacks and insect repellent.
Long sleeves, long pants and old shoes are recommended.
If you get a chance to invite friends and family to help, that would be great!
The program’s founder, Frank Masterman, of Oregon, Ill., is looking for coordinators and volunteers for the South Beloit and Roscoe stretches of the river. If you know of someone who might be interested, contact me (815-624-7622) or visit rockriversweep.org.
More later! Thanks.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue