- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Guest Column: Volunteers sought for Third Annual Rock River Sweep
By Loren Floto
It’s time to mark your calendars once again for the Third Annual Rock River Sweep!
We will meet at 9 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 8, at the gazebo in Settler’s Park (301 E. Main St., Rockton, Ill.) for a morning of community service, riverbank cleanup, refreshments and door prizes.
Tricia Nelson and I will again head up this year’s event, and we certainly appreciated the help participants gave us last year. We removed more than 3,000 pounds of refuse from our local section on the river.
Walkers are welcome, along with boaters, kayakers and canoers. Participants will be provided with gloves, bags, water, snacks and insect repellent.
Long sleeves, long pants and old shoes are recommended.
If you get a chance to invite friends and family to help, that would be great!
The program’s founder, Frank Masterman, of Oregon, Ill., is looking for coordinators and volunteers for the South Beloit and Roscoe stretches of the river. If you know of someone who might be interested, contact me (815-624-7622) or visit rockriversweep.org.
More later! Thanks.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue