- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Guest Column: Volunteers sought for Third Annual Rock River Sweep
By Loren Floto
It’s time to mark your calendars once again for the Third Annual Rock River Sweep!
We will meet at 9 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 8, at the gazebo in Settler’s Park (301 E. Main St., Rockton, Ill.) for a morning of community service, riverbank cleanup, refreshments and door prizes.
Tricia Nelson and I will again head up this year’s event, and we certainly appreciated the help participants gave us last year. We removed more than 3,000 pounds of refuse from our local section on the river.
Walkers are welcome, along with boaters, kayakers and canoers. Participants will be provided with gloves, bags, water, snacks and insect repellent.
Long sleeves, long pants and old shoes are recommended.
If you get a chance to invite friends and family to help, that would be great!
The program’s founder, Frank Masterman, of Oregon, Ill., is looking for coordinators and volunteers for the South Beloit and Roscoe stretches of the river. If you know of someone who might be interested, contact me (815-624-7622) or visit rockriversweep.org.
More later! Thanks.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue