- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
- Award-winning author Dr. Amina Gautier at Rock Valley Sept. 25
- City to remove traffic lights
- Apple orchards still hurting from last winter’s cold
Guest Column: Volunteers sought for Third Annual Rock River Sweep
By Loren Floto
It’s time to mark your calendars once again for the Third Annual Rock River Sweep!
We will meet at 9 a.m., Saturday, Sept. 8, at the gazebo in Settler’s Park (301 E. Main St., Rockton, Ill.) for a morning of community service, riverbank cleanup, refreshments and door prizes.
Tricia Nelson and I will again head up this year’s event, and we certainly appreciated the help participants gave us last year. We removed more than 3,000 pounds of refuse from our local section on the river.
Walkers are welcome, along with boaters, kayakers and canoers. Participants will be provided with gloves, bags, water, snacks and insect repellent.
Long sleeves, long pants and old shoes are recommended.
If you get a chance to invite friends and family to help, that would be great!
The program’s founder, Frank Masterman, of Oregon, Ill., is looking for coordinators and volunteers for the South Beloit and Roscoe stretches of the river. If you know of someone who might be interested, contact me (815-624-7622) or visit rockriversweep.org.
More later! Thanks.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue