- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
Help Atwood Park on Saturdays
Rockford Park District’s Atwood Center in Seth B. Atwood Park welcomes help from citizens to maintain and preserve areas of the park’s 334 acres while enjoying the outdoors.
The Park District’s second-largest park is uniquely diverse, with prairie, woodland, river and wetland areas that need special attention. The public is invited to join the Environmental Recreation and Education staff on select Saturdays from 9 until 11 a.m. for a brief lesson about the area to be worked on, then pitching in to help with some maintenance.
All ages are welcome; youth younger than 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Snacks will be provided.
In addition to families, this is a project for other types of groups, as well — groups of five or more are asked to call (815) 874-7576 in advance to advise Atwood staff of attendance.
Stewardship Saturdays are scheduled monthly through September; upcoming dates are Aug. 11 and Sept. 8.
More information can be found in the Rockford Park District Spring/Summer 2012 Program Guide available at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/programbrochures and at Park District offices and facilities, or by calling Atwood Center or Customer Service.
These are drop-in sessions, with no pre-registration required.
More about Atwood programs, facility rentals, and group activities and retreats is available at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org/atwood. For information about disability support and accessibility for people with disabilities, call Customer Service at (815) 987-8800.
Posted Aug. 8, 2012