- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
RACVB leader elected to national tourism board
The Rockford region will now have a voice in matters related to the nation’s tourism industry and in matters related to destination marketing’s leading professional organization. Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau (RACVB) President/CEO John Groh was elected to the board of Destination Marketing Association International (DMAI), the world’s largest official destination marketing organization. Groh will serve a three-year term beginning this fall.
“I’m honored by the opportunity to serve on the DMAI board of directors,” said Groh. “DMAI plays a significant role in establishing high standards and best practices for the CVB industry, in addition to advocating for the overall tourism industry. My election to this board means the issues, concerns and opportunities faced by the Rockford region and by CVBs similar to RACVB will be advanced to the national level.” Don Welsh, the CEO of Choose Chicago (formerly Chicago Convention & Tourism Bureau), also represents Illinois on the board. Groh also serves on the association’s Technology Committee.
With headquarters in Washington, D.C., DMAI advocates for the professionalism, effectiveness and significance of destination marketing organizations worldwide. It has more than 3,500 members from 600 destination marketing organizations in more than 20 countries. DMAI provides its members with cutting-edge educational resources, networking opportunities and marketing benefits available worldwide.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue