- TRRT Online Edition | May 6-12
- RRI: The Names frontman Dave Galluzzo
- Madigan sues companies of student loan debt scams
- State Roundup: Gambling expansion hearing highlights two possible bills
- Rauner to Smiddy: No debate for you
- State Roundup: Moody’s: Regardless of reform, Chicago pension will grow for years
- State Roundup: State could see up to $500 million in unexpected revenue for current FY
- Tax revenues up, Rauner to restore $26 million ‘Good Friday’ cuts
- First Friday Lineup: May 1
- State Roundup: Former governor Walker passes away
Science of Composting Workshop set for Aug. 11
Owners of horses and small livestock will benefit from attending a workshop on best management practices for dealing with manure. The workshop will be from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Aug. 11, at the University of Extension Ogle County office, 421 W. Pines Road, Oregon, Ill.
The purpose of the workshop is to share information on best management practices regarding neighbor-friendly manure storage, the science behind composting manure, simple composting techniques, and Illinois rules and regulations on manure storage and composting.
“We want to help horse and small livestock owners understand what best management practices are available to them and to offer some ideas for things they can do with manure other than putting it on a field or in a dumpster,” said Ellen Phillips, U of I Extension educator. “Composting significantly
reduces the volume, as well as the seed and parasite content, of manure. Compost is an excellent soil amendment that can be used on pastures or sold.”
The cost is $30 per person in advance and $15 for a second participant from the same farm. Registration for children younger than 18 years is $5. The registration and walk-in fee is $35 per person. The registration deadline is Aug. 8.
Download a brochure and register at http://web.extension.illinois.edu/registration/?RegistrationID=6918.
For more information, contact Ellen Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 732-2191.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue