- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
Science of Composting Workshop set for Aug. 11
Owners of horses and small livestock will benefit from attending a workshop on best management practices for dealing with manure. The workshop will be from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Aug. 11, at the University of Extension Ogle County office, 421 W. Pines Road, Oregon, Ill.
The purpose of the workshop is to share information on best management practices regarding neighbor-friendly manure storage, the science behind composting manure, simple composting techniques, and Illinois rules and regulations on manure storage and composting.
“We want to help horse and small livestock owners understand what best management practices are available to them and to offer some ideas for things they can do with manure other than putting it on a field or in a dumpster,” said Ellen Phillips, U of I Extension educator. “Composting significantly
reduces the volume, as well as the seed and parasite content, of manure. Compost is an excellent soil amendment that can be used on pastures or sold.”
The cost is $30 per person in advance and $15 for a second participant from the same farm. Registration for children younger than 18 years is $5. The registration and walk-in fee is $35 per person. The registration deadline is Aug. 8.
Download a brochure and register at http://web.extension.illinois.edu/registration/?RegistrationID=6918.
For more information, contact Ellen Phillips at email@example.com or (815) 732-2191.
From the Aug. 8-14, 2012, issue