- 20-year sentence in 2013 homicide
- Parolee arrested after search warrant at RHA property
- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
Black Family Reunion Celebration Aug. 17-19
The Rockford Section of the National Council of Negro Women (NCNW) is hosting the Black Family Reunion Celebration, a cultural event for the entire family, Aug. 17-19.
Friday, Aug. 17, there will be a reception at Rockford West Middle School, 1900 N. Rockton Ave., featuring Dr. Debra Majeed.
Dr. Majeed is associate professor and chairman of philosophy and religious studies at Beloit (Wis.) College. Her research and writing reflect her concerns with issues of social, political, racial and religious injustice, particularly with regard to women.
Tickets can be purchased for $20 in advance or at the event. Contact Aprel Prunty at (815) 601-6904.
The Black Family Reunion Celebration in the park will be at Levings Lake Park, 1602 S. Johnston Ave., Rockford, Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 18-19. This free community-wide festival offers an experience where all can enjoy the traditional family values and enduring strength of the black family.
The festival is free, and attendees will enjoy activities for all. A lively parade will be held in the park at 3 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 18. To participate in the parade, contact Pat Wilkins with “BFR parade” in the subject line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vendors will sell a unique selection of products and food to please the soul and the stomach. The state, county and city departments, along with other agencies, will be at the park educating the community. Tents will be dedicated to children, young adults and senior citizens. Local producer “Play Ray” will provide entertainment for the festival.
Rockford Mass Transit District will provide free bus services to and from Levings Lake Park from the Brewington Oaks, North Main Manor, Olesen Plaza, Faust and Park Terrace high rises.
More information about the Black Family Reunion is available at www.bfrcelebration.com.
NCNW’s mission is to lead, develop and advocate for women of African descent as they support their families and communities.
From the Aug. 15-21, 2012, issue