- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Fund-raisers for Shelby Aug. 24 and Sept. 16
Two fund-raisers are being planned for a special little girl with medical needs.
Shelby Martin is the 10-year-old daughter of Scott and Jennifer Martin of Machesney Park. Shelby was born with a rare liver disease, biliary atresia, which is the congenital absence or closure of the ducts that drain bile from the liver.
Last summer, Shelby developed a rare complication, and after a 223-day wait on the transplant list, she was given the gift of life April 19 when she received a liver from an organ donor.
The donations raised at the upcoming events will help offset Shelby’s medical expenses now and for the rest of her life. Transplant-related expenses so far exceed $500,000.
Christ United Methodist Church will hold a benefit barbecue from 4 to 7 p.m., Friday, Aug. 24, in the Fellowship Hall. The church is at 4509 Highcrest Road (near Alpine and Highcrest). Carry-out menu will consist of North Carolina-style pulled pork barbecue with bun. Side dishes (choose two) include cole slaw, potato salad, macaroni salad and a bag of chips. Cost of the meal is $8 per person or $25 for a family pack (feeds four). Canned drinks and brownies are available for an extra charge. Meals are carry-out, but tables on the lawn will be provided for those who want to eat on the grounds.
A larger fund-raiser is planned for Sunday, Sept. 16, from 1 to 8 p.m. at Tebala Shrine Temple, 7910 Newburg Road, Rockford. This is the “Shelby Palooza,” which will include performances from many of Rockford’s most popular entertainers.
Vintage Vinyl will perform from 1:30-2:30 p.m.; Missing Links from 3 to 4 p.m.; Michael “Magic Mike” Winters, the magician, will dazzle you with his feats from 4:15 to 4:45 p.m. Band of the Lost will perform from 5:15 to 6:15 p.m., and the day’s events conclude with Mr. Big Stuff, performing from 6:45 to 7:45 p.m.
Tickets are $15 for adults in advance or $20 at the door; $5 for children age 12 and younger. Enjoy food, a 50/50 raffle, cash bar and silent auction. Special thanks go to these individuals and businesses who helped make this event possible: Tebala Shrine, Guzzardo’s Music, Bob Putnam, the Postal Shoppe, FMA and Fast Mailing Services.
All funds raised will be channeled through the Children’s Organ Transplant Association (COTA), a nonprofit organization that ensures people can get credit for tax-deductible contributions.
From the Aug. 15-21, 2012, issue