- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Legendary glass artist featured in Aug. 16 artist lecture
Rockford Art Museum (RAM) will present an artist lecture by William Carlson at 7 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 16, at the theater in Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Admission to the event is free.
Carlson is a legendary glass artist whose work is featured in Into the Light: Illinois Glass — one of many shows across the nation celebrating the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Studio Glass Movement.
Carlson is considered among the most important figures of the movement. He was head of the crafts and sculpture programs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1976-2003), and is represented in numerous collections, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Corning Museum of Glass.
RAM is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., and can be reached at (815) 968-2787 or online at www.rockfordartmuseum.org.
From the Aug. 15-21, 2012, issue