- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
- BREAKING: Rauner vetoes state budget
Orange Julius smoothies, originals available at Rockford-area Dairy Queens
Online Staff Report
In a merger of two iconic brands, the Dairy Queen system has added Orange Julius Premium Fruit Smoothies and Julius Originals to the DQ menu at certain locations in Rockford.
“With the assortment of fruit choices, variety and convenience we now offer in this beverage category, it’s like having a smoothie shop within a DQ restaurant,” said Barry Westrum, executive vice president of marketing for American Dairy Queen Corporation. “This is a perfect addition to our menu for customers who want a healthier quick snack or a treat at any time of the day.”
Customers will have a choice between Orange Julius Premium Fruit Smoothies and Julius Originals. The Orange Julius Premium Fruit Smoothies are made with real fruit and low-fat yogurt, and are blended fresh for customers upon ordering. The refreshing, frothy real fruit Julius Originals are also blended fresh. Flavors for both Julius Originals and Premium Fruit Smoothies include Orange, Strawberry, Strawberry Banana, Tripleberry and Mango Pineapple.
International Dairy Queen, Inc., acquired the Orange Julius concept, famous for its menu of fruit-blended smoothies and beverages, in 1987, but the highly popular brand has been around for more than 85 years. The original began with Julius Freed, who operated an orange juice stand in Los Angeles. His friend Bill Hamlin liked oranges, but they upset his stomach. So, Bill decided to blend his orange juice with a few choice ingredients that made it less acidic. Bill introduced the drink to Julius, who then began selling the frothy, delicious beverage to customers. Soon, fans were shouting, “Give me an orange, Julius!” Sales escalated and the name of an original was born.
The following area Dairy Queen locations offer Orange Julius products:
• 1601 Sandy Hollow Road, Rockford, (815) 398-3303;
• 1601 E. Riverside Blvd., Rockford, (815) 636-0900;
• 2222 S. Perryville Road, Rockford, (815) 332-2000;
• 7150 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park, Ill., (815) 282-2888;
• 5482 Elevator Road, Roscoe, Ill., (815) 623-8267;
• Belvidere Tollway Oasis, Belvidere, Ill.;
• 1023 Pleasant St., Beloit, Wis., (608) 364-4714; and
• 1434 Cranston Road, Beloit, Wis., (608) 365-4077.
To find other Dairy Queen locations, visit www.dairyqueen.com/locator.
Posted Aug. 20, 2012