- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
Belvidere zoo welcomes baby spotted hyena Aug. 25-26
BELVIDERE, Ill. — Belvidere’s Summerfield Zoo has announced the arrival of a baby spotted hyena. The public is invited to see the special new addition to the zoo Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 25-26.
Special hyena activities will be provided for kids both days.
Rick Anderson, member of the board of directors at Summerfield Zoo, said: “The arrival of this hyena cub is very exciting! Hyenas are a very unique, intelligent and exciting species and will be a very fun addition to the zoo. There will be a lot of laughing going on at Summerfield Zoo as spotted hyenas are also known as laughing hyenas — and they do laugh! Eventually, we will obtain a mate for this hyena and have a breeding program for them at the zoo. In the meantime, this cub will be a great ambassador for the species and will be helpful in educating the public about the species.”
Summerfield Zoo is open Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is $5 per person, and all proceeds go to the care of all the animals, many of which are rescues.
Also enjoy animal presentations, pony rides and a petting zoo, and shop for gifts at the gift shop. Lunch, snacks and beverages are available at the zoo at Carmen’s Café.
Summerfield Zoo is a not-for-profit organization providing an up-close and personal animal experience for the whole family.
For more about Summerfield Zoo, 3088 Flora Road, Belvidere, Ill., call (815) 547-4852 or visit www.summerfieldfarmandzoo.com.
From the Aug. 22-28, 2012, issue