- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Rockford teachers named STAR Discovery Educators
Barbara Burgoyne, a teacher at Cherry Valley Elementary School; Jean Pierson, a teacher at Rockford Conklin Elementary School; Carol Ann Egan, a teacher at Rockford Flinn Middle School; and Dallas Turner and Douglas McArthur, teachers at Rockford Thomas Jefferson High School, have been named STAR Discovery Educators by Discovery Education for their commitment to harnessing digital learning to inspire students’ curiosity and prepare them for future careers.
STAR Discovery Educators are active members of the Discovery Educator Network (DEN), a global community of educators who are passionate about teaching with digital media and technology and sharing ideas and resources. As STAR Discovery Educators, Burgoyne, Pierson, Egan, Turner and McArthur have proven themselves as leaders in transforming and enhancing learning in Rockford classrooms.
“Discovery Education and the DEN are proud to honor the hard work and dedication of Barbara, Jenn, Carol, Dallas and Douglas,” said Lance Rougeux, vice president of learning communities and instructional implementation for Discovery Education. It is the work of passionate and committed educators like them who are engaging students through the use of digital media and technology that is making a difference across the country.”
As a STAR Discovery Educator, Burgoyne, Pierson, Egan, Turner and McArthur will share resources and innovative teaching methods with fellow educators across the district, state and world to improve student engagement and achievement.
STAR Discovery Educators have exclusive access to a wide range of free professional development activities provided by the DEN. The DEN offers best practices for effective and appropriate use of digital media and technology in the classroom and provides educators a forum for collaborating and networking online and in person.
From the Aug. 22-28, 2012, issue