- Remember, fireworks are dangerous
- Wallace asks citizens to fight cuts
- Dispute over state payroll rolls on
- Why fight over free trade confounds partisan divide
- Still no state budget
- Crime control is not the responsibility of landlords
- Fly over to the Poplar Grove Wings and Wheels Museum benefit
- Local leaders warn of budget deadlock’s impact
- SHUTDOWN: Illinois preps for the worst
- TRRT Online Edition | July 1-7
Great Duck Race winners announced
The Alzheimer’s Association-Rock River Branch extends its thanks to participants in this year’s Great Duck Race on the Rock River, who helped raise vital funds for the branch’s programs and services.
Because the Rock River was dangerously low over the weekend and had no current, the ducks did not launch. Instead, Petty Officer First Class Kevin Fahlund, serving as Master of Arms assigned to the USS Ronald Reagan nuclear aircraft carrier, drew the winners in front of the Reagan statue in Dixon, Ill. Kevin and his wife, Susan, and daughter, Reagan, were in town from California specifically to join in the Reagan Day festivities honoring the former president.
The winners were as follow: first place ($1,000): Bob Oncken, Milledgeville, Ill.; second place ($250): Clifford Rugh, Dixon, Ill.; third place ($100): Matt Heartland Realty, Dixon, Ill.; and fourth place ($50): D.L. Hughes Sr., Savanna, Ill.
Several area businesses generously sponsored “families” and “fleets” of ducks for the event. They include Bob White, Borg Warner; Bonnie O’Connell, Heritage Square; Matt Hermes, Heartland Realty; Pat O’Brian, Leaf River Telephone Company; Valerie Ford, Dixon Ford; Cathy Williams, Dixon Ford; Donna Hall, Century Tap; Connie Augsburger, Attorney; J &I J Household; Joe Hass, The Other Bar; KSB Hospital; Quality Redimix Concrete Company; Kathy Groenhagen, Serenity Hospice & Home; Exceptional Dentistry; Oliver’s Corner Market; and Big John Portable.
From the Aug. 29-Sept. 4, 2012, issue