- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
- The tip of the iceberg: Human trafficking in America
- State Roundup: House passes proposal to fill current fiscal year budget gap
- ‘Hogs streak hits 4 as race tightens
- Neighborhood feel key for Rural on Tap
Great Duck Race winners announced
The Alzheimer’s Association-Rock River Branch extends its thanks to participants in this year’s Great Duck Race on the Rock River, who helped raise vital funds for the branch’s programs and services.
Because the Rock River was dangerously low over the weekend and had no current, the ducks did not launch. Instead, Petty Officer First Class Kevin Fahlund, serving as Master of Arms assigned to the USS Ronald Reagan nuclear aircraft carrier, drew the winners in front of the Reagan statue in Dixon, Ill. Kevin and his wife, Susan, and daughter, Reagan, were in town from California specifically to join in the Reagan Day festivities honoring the former president.
The winners were as follow: first place ($1,000): Bob Oncken, Milledgeville, Ill.; second place ($250): Clifford Rugh, Dixon, Ill.; third place ($100): Matt Heartland Realty, Dixon, Ill.; and fourth place ($50): D.L. Hughes Sr., Savanna, Ill.
Several area businesses generously sponsored “families” and “fleets” of ducks for the event. They include Bob White, Borg Warner; Bonnie O’Connell, Heritage Square; Matt Hermes, Heartland Realty; Pat O’Brian, Leaf River Telephone Company; Valerie Ford, Dixon Ford; Cathy Williams, Dixon Ford; Donna Hall, Century Tap; Connie Augsburger, Attorney; J &I J Household; Joe Hass, The Other Bar; KSB Hospital; Quality Redimix Concrete Company; Kathy Groenhagen, Serenity Hospice & Home; Exceptional Dentistry; Oliver’s Corner Market; and Big John Portable.
From the Aug. 29-Sept. 4, 2012, issue